What are they?
Instantaneous water heaters that supply hot water to be used in hand/wash basins, baths, showers and anywhere else that needs a constant supply of hot water.
How do they work?
They transfer heat (via a specifically designed heat exchanger) from your 80 deg C boiler water circuit into your domestic water circuit. The temperature of the hot water is continually and accurately monitored by the electronic Temperature Controller which is connected to a motorised modulating valve. If the demand goes up – the heat exchanger output increases. If the demand goes down – the heat exchanger transfers less heat. Thus the demand on the boiler matches what is actually being used. Power requirements are 240v / 1ph.
Worried about Legionnaires?
The Packaged Plate Heat Exchanger system provides a steady and constant temperature of hot water eliminating the peaks and sometimes dramatic troughs of hot water temperatures that are more commonly found by the use of storage cylinders on their own. As a safeguard, the system is designed to heat water to a factory temperature of 65 Deg C. If additional protection / assurance is required then as an optional extra, a higher pasteurisation setting can be programmed to take effect during times when there is no demand for hot water.
Can I incorporate a Package Plate Heat Exchanger into my old system?
Yes. These can be installed into old and new set-ups. They can be used in both vented and un-vented systems. The integral shunt pump that pushes the boiler water through the heat exchanger means that it will not effect the performance of existing circulating pumps. The Package Plate Heat Exchanger looks after itself!
What are the materials in contact with the domestic hot water?
The domestic hot water only passes through the heat exchanger. This has surgical grade AISI 316 stainless steel internals and food safe EPDM gaskets. The gaskets are W.R.A.S. approved so the Package Plate Heat Exchanger system can be used without fear of contaminating your hot water.
Where can I use a Package Plate Heat Exchanger?
Anywhere that needs to have hot water. Such as:
- Schools and Universities
- Hotels and Hostels
- Hospitals, Care and Nursing Homes
- Office blocks, Apartment blocks and larger multiple occupancy buildings
- Swimming pools, Leisure Centres, Amusement Parks
- Motorway Service Stations, Train Stations and Stadiums
- Prisons and Army Barracks
Worried about Safety?
The packaged PHE system incorporates an overheat shut down feature as standard. If for some reason the domestic hot water temperature is too hot, then the system stops the primary shunt pump thus reducing the function of the heat exchanger. For additional security it is possible as an option to add a shut off valve. This valve closes automatically in an overheat situation or a power cut and completely isolates the heat exchanger from the boiler flow supply.
What are the features and benefits?
- Compact size – can fit through doorways.
- Accurate and steady control of hot water output – fast reaction to varying demand with reduced risk of bacteria building up in the pipework.
- Incorporates it’s own shunt pump which is specifically matched to the heat exchanger and control valve to give the best performance.
- Expertly built control panel that can be tailored to meet your specific site requirements – no more having to compromise or pay for features that you may never use or want. Works with or without connecting to a Building Management System. You decide on the inputs and outputs – the choice is yours!
- W.R.A.S. approved gaskets – keeps you on the right side of water regulations.
- Easy and straightforward access to the heat transfer plates – reduces downtime by allowing parts to be serviced quicker.
- 4 port modulating control valve – keeps your boiler ring main open even when there is no demand for heat. Hence the system does not interrupt any boiler over-run and the pipe work going to and leading from the Package System is not “dead legged”.
- Low liquid hold up volume – avoids the need for an annual insurance inspection.
What is the basic specification of the Standard Unit?
- High performance plate heat exchanger with removable plates.
- WRAS approved gasket material.
- Resistant powder coated frame and pipes.
- Control system using a 4 port modulating valve for variable and accurate control of hot water temperature.
- Control panel that incorporates a fully programmable, industrial quality Temperature Controller that has Building Service Management (BMS) compatibility. The set point temperature and the actual running temperature are clearly displayed on a digital LCD screen. All control voltages are 24 volt.
- Simple to use controls.
- BMS volt free contacts to switch on and off the panel, to enable remote display of when the unit is running and if there is a fault.
- Overheat protection with re-set button.
- Heat Exchanger shunt pump on the primary side (single or double headed options. If a double head pump is used then an auto pump head run change-over feature on a timed basis is added as standard).
- Skid Base frame for floor mounting.
What options are available to tailor the standard unit to my needs?
- A Secondary DHW shunt pump or Buffer Vessel transfer pump can be added.
- Extra BMS input and/or output contacts and switches – such as the ability to alter the control set point of the system remotely can be included inside the control panel.
- A DHW temperature output using a 4-20 mA signal can be made available so that the temperature can be displayed on another device some distance from the unit.
- There can be a link added that goes to the boiler (240 volt) to switch boiler on when panel is set to operate.
- If there is no BMS on site, or a requirement to operate the Packaged Unit independently then there is the option of adding a 7 day programmable time clock to set the on/off times.
- It is also possible to incorporate a timed Pasteurisation setting/operation into the system which heats up the water to a pre-set pasteurisation temperature when there is no demand for the domestic water. This feature gives reassurance that the temperatures are hot enough to kill off any bugs in the water.
- Models start at 50 KW and stretch up to 400 KW heat transfer rates in 50 KW steps.
- All units have interchangeable plates and parts.
- The design is so versatile that all units use the same primary shunt pump – therefore it is possible to increase the heat transfer rate just by re-configuring the plate pack. No other changes required!
- Primary water needs to be at 80 Deg C.
- Secondary water selections based upon heating from cold (10 Deg C) up to 65 Deg C through one pass of the plate heat exchanger.
|Heat Transfer KW||Primary flow m3/hr||Temp at inlet F3 Deg C||DHW Flow m3/hr||DHW inlet Deg C||DHW outlet Deg C||DHW pressure drop through PHE kPa|